HIGHGRADE DISCUSSION FORUMS
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
23rd Oct 2014 at 1:07am
Forum visitors to-date:
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register

HIGHGRADE DISCUSSION FORUMS
   The Garden
   Hydroponic Growing
(Moderators: Highgrade, Herban_Guerilla)
   steralize rockwool and rapid rooter cubes?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: steralize rockwool and rapid rooter cubes?  (Read 1222 times)
pablo67

I love HIGHGRADE SEEDS!

View Profile

steralize rockwool and rapid rooter cubes?  
« on: 22nd Jun 2009 at 4:22am »
Quote Quote

I hope this is the right place to ask this particular question.Sorry in advance if it has been asked and answered elsewhere. I have found when cloneing that I end up with Rockwool, and or rapid rooter plugs that have been in clone tray but didnt root, can we steralize these somehow and reuse later? If so how?
IP Logged

Endeavour to persevere
Shadow Farmer

Email

Re: steralize rockwool and rapid rooter cubes?  
« Reply #1 on: 1st Jul 2009 at 1:24pm »
Quote Quote

For the exact circumstances in your post I have reused mine with no problems. I finally switched away  from plugs and rockwool because my success rate was lower than I cared for. In my setup I must successfully clone because I do not keep mother plants. I keep a rotation going.

I did a bubble cloner similar to ones posted on this site. I like it so much better and I have 100%  success rate.  

Temperature in the rooting area is vital to success. I keep my water in my cloner very warm 78-80 with a small aquarium heater. I know someone is going to mention about oxygen levels in water at being low at higher temps. However I know that clones tend to fail at cooler water temps and root at the ones I mentioned. These water temps are ONLY for the cloner. When you have main reservoirs then the water temp should be much lower.

If you want to continue to use plugs and starter cubes get a heat mat.  I bet that would up the success rate and the reusing cubes debate will become moot.
IP Logged
LoM
God

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: 1st Jul 2009 at 3:03pm »
Quote Quote

I can see how some would re use but I wouldnt. There cheap enough to get new. Just like u can re use perlite but not a great idea. If u can get new, then you'll never have to worry.. Wink
LoM
IP Logged
pablo67

I love HIGHGRADE SEEDS!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: 1st Jul 2009 at 8:50pm »
Quote Quote

Thanks guys for the replies. I dont have much trouble with cloneing-I have several that fail each time, and over a period of time I end up with a bag full of these semi used rockwool and or rapidrooter plugs.I hate to throw them out, I think they cost like 15 buks a bag ,not to mention the long drive to the grow store, and other concerns envolved with that. I thought it would be sweet to boil them or put them in the Microwave for a bit, and reuse. My concern is each time i clone several cuttings will mold and wilt over at the stem.I figured if I boil the cube it would kill any risidual mold or whatever. ,And I could reuse plug. But maybe im just being cheap and should put them in the compost. Grin
IP Logged

Endeavour to persevere
Shadow Farmer

Email

« Reply #4 on: 3rd Jul 2009 at 8:17am »
Quote Quote

on 1st Jul 2009 at 8:50pm, pablo67 wrote:
Thanks guys for the replies. I dont have much trouble with cloneing-I have several that fail each time

I did not mean to imply in my last post that you could not clone. However, I would like to add if the above statement is true then your cloning, while largely successful, does need some work.

There are means to clone where you will get a better success rate and not use any cubes or plugs.

Not trying to be a dick or call you out, but I read your above post and thought maybe there was a hint of denial. A little friendly intervention. There is a better way.

If I am way off base, or you a commercial grower, then disregard the above information. I offer my apologies and reiterate that I have, in the past,when cloning with rock wool cubes,  reused the cube if the clone did not root. I then  pulled it and stuck another in its place. I never even rinsed them. I thought your idea  of heating them to sterilize them was pretty good. A definite improvement over what i used to do.

--Peace--SF

IP Logged
pablo67

I love HIGHGRADE SEEDS!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: 3rd Jul 2009 at 1:39pm »
Quote Quote

No prob shadow. Its all good, I learn something new everyday, and I am always open to new(Better) Ideas. I didnt take offense to your reply at all. I was just clarifying that I have good sucess at rooting clones, but a small precentage fail. I think that steralizing the rockwool will work, but the rapidrooter cubes are made from treebark, and might loose their nutritional value if boiled. Thanks again for taking the time to give input I appreciate it very much- Wink
IP Logged

Endeavour to persevere
Shadow Farmer

Email

« Reply #6 on: 4th Jul 2009 at 8:55am »
Quote Quote

That's cool pablo. The reason why I was so passionate is I recently switched from rockwool to the bubble cloner. I was amazed. I was just fervent about spreading the bubble cloner gospel. If you dig rockwool then I say keep on keeping on. I think you are right about the plugs. Toss the organic plugs and sterilize and reuse the rockwool. I cannot see any real harm and it's environmentally responsible.

Maybe do some experiments. On a couple clones reuse the old ones, then compare the performance with new cubes and if you would please post the results.  I am interested in what you find because I learn something new nearly every time I visit these forums.

--Peace--SF
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

HIGHGRADE DISCUSSION FORUMS » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.